Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Back To School Shopping

Colorblock Dress by Truly Me

It's that time again, back to school shopping. And I'll tell you a little secret, I actually enjoy it. I like seeing what the newest fashion trends are and picking out that perfect first day of school outfit. Anyone else like me? Well this year I got a little help from my local mall (Stoneridge Shopping Center) and was given a $100 gift certificate to purchase a few things and share about my experience. I'll also be sharing a few tips for maximum savings, regardless of where you're shopping.

To start off the school year, I always like to purchase one special item which I consider "the splurge". I can't afford designer everything but I can afford to buy at least one special piece. This year I purchased a colorblock knit dress by Truly Me at Nordstroms ($48). I love that it has an art deco feel to it which has been popping up on the runways.

Another must have item on my back to school list is a hooded sweatshirt or sweater. With the weather still warm, kids are not ready to wear a fall coat so a hoodie is perfect for those in between temperatures. I chose this knit sweater hoodie from the GAP ($34.95) for my son. It's casual enough for him to wear with a t-shirt but has just enough style to be paired with a polo. It's the perfect compromise for parent and child.
This year my son wanted a pair of Converse. We picked up this blue pair of chucks at JC Penney for $30. I like these shoes because they're classic, reasonably priced and will hold up on the play ground.

Even though all these item are full price, I also like a deal. In fact, most of the time I will buy items on sale. Currently Labor Day sales are in full swing and you can snag some really good deals by shopping now. Here are few tips:

*To ensure you get the best selection, shop as soon as the store opens. It will be less crowded, the racks will be organized and the clothes will not be picked over. Also, many stores have special sales for only the first few hours which are known as doorbusters.

*Almost all deep discounted items are placed in the back of the store or on the back side walls.

*Ask if what you're purchasing will be going on sale soon. Most stores will give you an adjustment if your purchase goes on sale within the next ten days of purchase. You just have to come back to the store with your receipt at the time of sale to get the adjustment.

*Check to see if your mall has a website. Simon Malls has a website with a list of discounts and sometimes there are even coupons to print!

What are your best back-to-school shopping tips? Please share in the comments.

This post does not necessarily represent Simon Property Group's positions, strategies, or opinions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you edit the borders of the kids so nicely?? I can never get it that well...

zakkalife said...

Anonymous,

I use the eraser tool (70% hardness) in Photoshop and zoom in close. There are probably easier ways to do it but that's what works best for me.

Hope this helps.

Jessica

Joy said...

I love back to school shopping too! Even though the boys are still too young :)

I like to shop at the tail end of the season - when they're bring out the latest items/clothes, then I end up with some great deals that we can use for next year.

You have such beautiful/handsome models!

zakkalife said...

Joy,

I like to shop at the end of season too - good tip! You just reminded me that January is one of the best months to shop for deals. Usually stores are conducting inventory and want to get rid of as much clothing as they can.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.